- die out
- verb1. become extinct (Freq. 2)-
Dinosaurs died out• Syn: ↑die off• Verb Frames:-
Somebody ——s2. cut or shape with a die-
Die out leather for belts• Syn: ↑die• Hypernyms: ↑cut out• Verb Frames:-
* * *die outTo become extinct, to disappear• • •Main Entry: ↑die
* * *ˌdie ˈout [intransitive] [present tense I/you/we/they die out he/she/it dies out present participle dying out past tense died out past participle died out] phrasal verbto become weaker or less common and then disappear completely
The tribe’s traditional way of life is dying out.Thesaurus: to disappear, or to stop existing or happeningsynonymMain entry: die
* * *die out [phrasal verb]: to disappear gradually
Like most fads, this one eventually died out.
The disease gradually died out over the last two generations.
Many more species are expected to die out completely [=to become extinct] unless we do something to help.• • •Main Entry: ↑die
* * *ˌdie ˈout derivedto stop existing
This species has nearly died out because its habitat is being destroyed.Main entry: ↑diederived
Useful english dictionary. 2012.